This morning I went for the routine post-failure appointment with the gynecologist. Hubby came along since he wanted to hear explanations on what went wrong. I wish he got used to the standard 15-30 minutes delay because complaining about it every 2 minutes does not make the doctor speed up, it just makes me more tired. A part from that, I was glad he came along.
As usual there was no clear explanation. But this time she said that, since we have had a few transfer by now, it may be time to check my endometrium. The next step is therefore going to be an endometrial biopsy to see if endometrial scraping could help implantation for the next rounds. I’m happy we are doing this, it’s one thing that we have not tried yet.
I also asked her about all the other ideas I had in mind (listed in my last post):
- In-Vitro Maturation (IVM) is apparently not necessary for us, since we have managed to get some good embryos out of IVF, even if not very many. It may be an option for later.
- Metformin is not used anymore here because of its heavy side effects. Apparently it’s been replaced by a vitamin supplement, which I will be taking to see if it helps my ovaries produce less crappy eggs.
- Checking my hormones more is apparently not necessary. They were fine during this cycle so that cannot be the answer. But I did get the name of a new endocrinologist to see if we can better check my thyroid.
- She was not against ovarian drilling, although it is not fully clear how that could help us since we’d still have to do IVF because of the male side. We agreed to think about it a bit more. And in any case it would not be for this year because we’ll do the biopsy first.
- Since we won’t do IVF right away, I left some things for later discussion (e.g. assisted hatching, genetic testing).
The gynecologist saw that our mood was pretty low and tried to be encouraging but it didn’t help much. Walking out I told hubby that even if I understand that there is still a lot we can do and that I should be optimistic, I still feel like crying when I think about it. He said he feels just the same. I think we’re both really tired right now. It’s been a long year with a lot of fighting and a lot of failures.
Anyways, I am off to Japan tomorrow, on a mission to find cool Halloween stuff for the wonderful International IF Pumpking carving competition: Pumpkin Smackdown 2013. Thanks again to the genius minds of Barren Betty and Fertility Doll for organizing this!