After months of tests, I recently received all exam results. While happy that results were all good, I was left a bit lost on what to try next. On Friday I went to see my gynecologist, hoping that she would come up with some ideas. Her reaction was exactly like mine: she had no idea of what to do. According to her I have a perfect uterus, and uterine lining and we had managed to get good quality embryos. IVF should have worked and she doesn’t know why it didn’t or what to try to increase chances next time.
Since the only time I had a faint positive result was after a FET, she proposed to do egg collection, freeze everything and then do FETs later. She said if we do that she’ll also be able to stimulate me more to get more embryos. Except I later remembered that when she stimulated me more I had an LH peak and we ended up cancelling the cycle. So I am not sure she’ll really be able to stimulate more. She also proposed to wait for the embryos to get to blastocysts before freezing to better select those that are really good. Except last time we did 3-day freezing because we thought it would be better for the embryos to develop in the womb instead of in vitro. She also said to go see the embryologist to see if she has some ideas. Sure, we’ll go but I don’t expect the embryologist to have enlightening ideas. I’ll ask about assisted hatching but I’m not sure if that’ll help much. Finally, she said I could do anti-coagulants injections after the transfer. She said it won’t hurt but that it is unlikely going to make a big difference.
The new plan is to start stims in late February and have egg retrieval in March, freeze whatever we get, have a break for at least two months and then transfer in July.
I have mixed feelings about this plan. I am seriously considering going to ask for a second opinion, even if this gynecologist is already my second opinion. And it’s not really her fault if she could not come up with alternative ideas. We have tried lots already:
- We have tried IVF, IMSI and ICSI. ICSI is the one that gave the best results so far. Although we did get a blastocyst with IMSI too.
- We have tried short, long and antagonist protocols, antagonist is the one that worked the best (highest number of embryos and the only one that didn’t cause an OHSS).
- We have tried fresh cycles and one frozen cycle. The FET is the one that gave a faint positive. Probably because my body is in less of a hormonal mess.
- Genetic testing on embryos could help but it is not allowed in here.
- We have tested my uterine lining, and according to results I do not need an endo scratch nor a cortisone treatment. So nothing to do on this front.
- I am not insulin resistant and I do not need to lose more weight so using metformin on me will not help. A low GI diet may help and I’m on it.
So her plan does make sense. But it still got me upset. It got me upset because she didn’t seem confident. It seems more like we’re doing this because we do not know what else do. She wasn’t very encouraging either, she just seemed out of ideas. Finally I got upset because I don’t like waiting. I don’t want to wait until July. All I can think of is that I won’t be a mum in 2014, by my next birthday, Christmas, wedding anniversary etc. If a friend was telling me this I would not hesitate to say that it is better to wait and have more chances (are there really more chances?). But since it is me I cannot be that rational. I know a few months is not much but I am tired of all this waiting and trying to live a happy childless life.
If you have any suggestions on things I could try, please let me know! Thanks!
This entry was posted in Infertility
and tagged FET
. Bookmark the permalink